Hello again loves!
I find that more and more young ladies and women today are all thinking the same thing. “How do I dress my body type?” With so many different cuts, colors, short, long, tight, flowing, and so many more styles, how do you pick what is right for you? I have created this guide to help you shop and dress your body type.
My body type is short and curvy, or hourglass shape.
I am a curvier woman, so my hips don’t lie and with the right bra (thank you VS) a little busty as well. This is also commonly referred to as an hourglass figure! Over the years things I’ve learned that DO NOT (NO NO NO) look good on my body are
- Those unfitting moo moo dresses- I look like a short potato and a little sloppy.
- Boxy boyfriend tees
- Anything that isn’t semi fitted or fitted
Basically, when you’re curvy, showing your curves with semi fitted or fitted garments about only slims you down, but also looks clean on your body type. Some of my favorite things to wear for my body type are
- Semi fitted tee shirt day
- Skinny jeans with a princess seam blouse
- Pencil skirts and tshirt with a fitted blazer
I also always keep a long cardi in my bag in case I get chilly (as it was 60° in the middle picture). I find it lengthens my body just enough to not seem so short (rockin’ it at 5’1″). Overall, I love showing off my curves as many women with hourglass figures will share with you. Dressing semi fitted and fitted makes your shape pop and with the right outerwear (fitted blazers and jackets) you can go from business to dinner in a flash!
The “pear” shaped body type
You may be this body type if your hips don’t lie but your chest may be lacking, which is totally okay! This type of body just means that you can really play around with layers up top. Some things NOT to wear for your body type
- High waisted skinny pants – this will tend to make your body shape blob into itself and not have a general shape at all
- Avoid fitted pants- you want to give shape to your lower half, and unfortunately skinny pants won’t do that for you
- body con probably won’t be your friend- due to the nature of pear shaped, this may make you look un-proportional
With a pear shaped body, you want to accentuate the bust, as well as add some flare to the lower half to balance out your curves. Sweet heart necklines, V necks, and anything that has neckline details is a perfect accent to your wardrobe! Perfect pieces to add to your collection would be
- Flare, bootcut, or bell bottom jeans- to lengthen and balance out the natural curves of your lower half
- tea skirts that hit at your lower waistline- it will add length to torso as well as accentuate your natural grace with your figure
- V-neck tees that are fitted and semi fitted tops to make you bustier and blend into your hips.
My best friend who has this body type rocks the flare pant, pointy shoe, blazer look. It makes her look so classy and ready to power down and take the lead, while still being approachable and casual. I find that this is also a fun body type to dress, as this is how many vintage dresses and other clothes are cut. Thrift shopping for your pear shape is a blast and you are most likely going to find exactly what looks good on you!
The tom boy figure, aka “rectangle”
This body type is pretty self explanatory. You do not have quite a waist, your hips and shoulders are the same width, and all around you’re pretty petite, and all around you’re pretty flat. Some thing you should NOT wear are
- Shapeless clothing – the point is to add shape, not take away more shape!
- Anything straight without defined waist lines and curves, flat in nature
With a rectangle figure, adding curves is a great way to start your outfits. Defining your waist is key, high waisted clothing will look great on you along with princess seams and fitted bottoms. Some staples that should be in your closet are
- Medium to high necklines are always a solid choice, especially if you have a smaller bust and longer neck
- Halter necks to accentuate the bust more and create curves and shadows on your body
- Your blouses will look fly tucked into your pants
The rectangle shape looks fabulous in anything that gives the illusion of curves. This body shape is very versatile as in you can play around and have freedom to try anything on with the knowledge you’ll look good.
Overall, you know your body type and what looks good on you better than anyone else. These tips are simply suggestions that I have collected over the years of dressing my friends as well as observing on my travels. If you want more info on each body type the pictures should be hyperlinked! You can click on the photo’s above to take you to the other sites!
Hope you loves enjoyed the post! Let me know how you styled your body shape with the #MyDDiary on any social media!!